Monday, August 18, 2008

Grand Rapids Celebration-Sunday

After waking up in Kelly's white, window filled room with two cats sprawled on the bed, I enjoyed walking to Kelly's church-Grand River (which is downtown) and seeing all of those people again. I attended this church for about 6 months on Saturday nights during my last year in GR. It was good to see people praising God like that again.

After worship, we got some Chinese food and ate well and then took a nap. Actually, I called a bunch of my relatives to try to figure out where we are staying in Ontario. I have aunts and uncles and cousins all of the place, which is convienent and I think it will be fun to visit with them.

Then we headed to the Celebration Rally which was at Fifth Third Ball Park. It was massive and I really did feel like a celebrity as we walked in. I saw the Geschiere's (my old CRC pastor and his family), the Dykema's (a family from Riverside CRC), some RBC people and Jesi. It was great to talk with them all and see how they are doing.

The service was vibrant and Shane Clayborne was an excellent speaker. He spoke on what on being a dis-satisfied Christian...how we can be nonconformist to culture and transform the world through simple acts of love and charity. He worked with Mother Teresa for a while and now lives in Philadelphia with a community of people who try to minister to the people in the neighbourhood. He also has dreadlocks which makes him fantastic in my books.

Then Kelly and Amber and I went back to Kelly's for some sweet wine and reheated Chinese and we talked and fell asleep. We woke up later and headed out to camp, where Jesi met us and I showed them the gear truck, kitchen truck and we set up my tent. Then we headed to Founders where Jesi and I got the opprotunity to have a long talk. At the end of the night, we all said our goodbyes and Jesi drove Bob, Brian and I back to camp where we promptly fell asleep. We agreet to leave the next day at 8 but it's not looking so good....might be 8:30.

No comments: